Thursday, September 29, 2011

10.6.8 on EeePC 1005HAB

NOTE: THIS PAGE IS OUTDATED. PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR CURRENT PAGE.


I finally updated the EeePC to 10.6.8. Despite all precautions, it turned into a mess.
Fortunately, I found a solution. Many thanks to Jhonny at the MarcoMC blog. And thanks to Marco. Also, thanks to everyone who helped with development.
Here is the blog with the solution.

In the comments, Jhonny makes available an entire kit for 10.6.8. Here is the link to download Jhonny's kit.That is what I used.
Please note: This kit uses a pre-made DSDT file. Because of this, you must have 2 GB RAM installed for it to work correctly. Or, you can learn how to edit the DSDT file.
To install, copy his kit (the "Extra" folder, ""boot" file and "mach_kernel") to the root of your hard drive to replace the previous. The only additions are to add SMBIOSResolver.kext, and update the FakeSMC.kext to version 3.1.0 (Put them in /Extra/Extensions/). Both kexts are available in my previous kit, or online (google for it).
On my computer, the power and external hard-drives would not work correctly without the SMBIOSResolver. I don't know the technical reason for this, but it fixes several problems.
Good luck with it.

Peace

To update from a previous Jaavros install, this is what I did:
Copy your Extensions folder (/System/Library/Extensions/) somewhere as a backup. You might need it later.
In /System/Library/Extensions, delete all the previously installed kexts from my previous kits. You can easily find them, they will be marked in colors.
Then, run the 10.6.8 COMBO Update Installer. DO NOT RESTART when the update completes.
You will need to Show Invisible Files for the next step.
Drag the "Jhonny's Kit" to replace in root. (drag the "Extra" folder, ""boot" file and "mach_kernel" to the root of your hard drive to replace the previous.)
Drag SMBIOSResolver.kext and FakeSMC.kext to /Extra/Extensions/ and replace. You can find those either in the Extensions folder that you backed up, or in the previous Jaavros kit.
Fix Permissions/cache:  Open Terminal window and type sudo fixkext. Type your password and hit Enter. If you don't have the terminal app "fixkext", install it from my previous kit or download it online.
Restart.
Use Disk Utility to Repair Disk Permissions.

12 comments:

  1. Just to mention, so far everything works well in 10.6.8.
    Plus, some new things. Closing the lid now sleeps the netbook (you still need to tap a key to wake).
    The Power Button now gives restart/sleep/shutdown menu. Sound is much louder, with a better preference pane. Mic seems to work. The sound Fn keys work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, it seems to be a good tutorial, can you upload again the kit? The link is dead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, the link is to someone else's link. It seems to be down.
    I will have to make a new kit, and upload it myself. Perhaps later today. Again, sorry for that broken link.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The link to download "Jhonny's kit" is fixed. It is called "Anla_EFI_final.zip". Try it again.

    peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your kit is missing IOMassStorage.kext. I can't mount any USB devices.

      Delete
    2. Hey Jaavros, I eventually found the problem. Your new kit has an ancient IOUSBFamily.kext. If I use the one included in your OLD kit, it works.

      Why not repackage the kit so it works? :)

      Delete
  5. Has anyone experienced the problem of USB drives not mounting? I installed 10.6.8 then the extensions from the 'kit' to no avail. I even tried the 10.6.2 IOUSBFamily.kext

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I've been away from this blog.
    To answer your question, I did not make this kit. I uploaded a kit that "Jhonny" made. It works well for me in 10.6.8, no USB problems. And it works from /Extra and does not have to be put in System/Library/Extensions, as my previous kit did. It has a decent DSDT, sleeps well, and doesn't have the fan problems. Basically, I was just putting it here to help those who wanted to update to 10.6.8.

    I realize now that I had added the kext "SMBIOSResolver.kext" to Jhonny's kit, which solved certain problems. Unfortunately, it didn't get put back into the kit when I fixed the upload link last time. Again, sorry bout that. If you want to add that kext, you can find it in my previous kit.

    Since I last posted, I have made several improvements to my EeePC Hackintosh. So, instead of fixing this kit, I will be uploading a new kit, with some improvements that you might notice.
    I hope those of you who read this blog will install my next kit, and please help by telling me how it works on your system. It should be uploaded very soon. Thanks.
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I accidentally deleted this file: com.apple.boot.plist wich is in Library/Preferences/systemconfiguration
    can you send it to me by e-mail? thx.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You don't need com.apple.boot.plist in that location.
    My kit has com.apple.boot.plist that belongs in /extra/

    to test, I just deleted that file from Library/Preferences/systemconfiguration and my computer booted fine. Are you having trouble booting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok, thx.
      it was because i had an issue with app store log in, but now it's ok i used com.apple.boot.plist in extra to inject device properties and now i can log in.

      how to know if my dsdt.aml file is load at boot ?

      Delete
  9. If someone want to enable or disable the bluetooth I made a kext (modify a kext) to do it, i can upload it. you need to put this in S/L/E (it's the only one kext wich doesn't work properly in Extra)

    ReplyDelete