Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Hackintosh a desktop

The easy part. A desktop.
Buy or build a PC desktop. Mostly any desktop can be hackintoshed, especially Intel processors. Best bet is core2duo or quad, corei3,5,7. The best motherboards for Hackintosh are Gigabyte and Asus. Mostly because those are high quality brands. Try to spend more than you planned to spend on the Power Supply. It is the most important component. Corsair and Antec, are 2 companies that make premium power supplies. It is worth the investment. Try to avoid using cheap OEM power supplies.
Mostly any graphics-card will work. Try it. If it doesn't hackintosh, you can buy a decent hackintosh friendly graphics-card for $25 and up.
You don't need a gaming-quality graphics card for Hackintosh. In fact, Photoshop and Final-Cut do all the graphics processing on the CPU. Not the graphics card. Which leads me to my point: if you are into gaming, you should use Windows. For everything else, there is Mac. Hence, you do not need a fancy graphics card to do mostly anything you want on a Mac.
You can google to find out which graphics cards are best for Hackintosh. Otherwise, you can always use NVidia 8400, 8600, 8800, 9400, 9800. Especially the 9800, since they are currently available for under $100.

To hackintosh:
Go to MyHack. Use it to allow the installation using a Retail snow-leopard disk.
I will put up links later on. Peace.
Trust me, it is easy to hackintosh desktops. Next, on to Netbooks. (Which aren't quiet so easy. I will try to simplify the procedure.)

2 comments:

  1. Hello Professor Jaavros.. I'm a new french user et admiration of your work (and sorry for my english) I'll tried your method with success on my 1005HA ..... 10.6.6 to 10.6.8
    My one and only problem is that the inside media card reader and my external usb hard drive can't mount on the desk..
    Can you give any idea to work on this problem.
    Best regards from Paris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Francky,

    The USB drives and card reader mounts correctly on my system, so I can report that it should work. I can give you some ideas of things to check, let me know if those help, otherwise I have more ideas.

    Did you check the BIOS? (press F2 while booting to enter BIOS)
    Under the ADVANCED tab --> SYSTEM CONFIGURATION
    check that USB FUNCTIONS, USB 2.0 CONTROLLER, ONBOARD CARD READER are all marked as [Enabled].
    (I have everything marked as [Enabled] on that page)
    Are you running the latest version of BIOS? On my system, the bios is Revision 1401 (you can find that information under the MAIN tab --> SYSTEM OVERVIEW).

    On the EeePC, only the USB port on the left side, near the power plug, has enough power for an external Hard Drive. The 2 USB ports on the Right do not supply extra power.

    Let me know if you have success. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete